Coming Soon


October 16, 2011

Footloose

While I have not seen the 1984 version of Footloose, I feel as though I got the gist by watching the 2011 version. It appears that this remake is quite similar to the original. This can be great for a great story line, but terrible for outdated clothing, dialogue, and scenarios.

Going into watching Footloose I did not have high hopes. I had heard about the struggles the makers had when trying to find a male lead. When Zach Efron and Chase Crawford both turn down the role, you probably aren't going to get a top-rate actor. While Kenny Wormald, the lead that decided to make this his big break, does have the moves and the looks for this lead role, a bigger name star would have made Footloose more of a box office hit. While the casting troubles did cause the film to loose marketing power, the film is not a total shamble. It is enjoyable, entertaining, and even funny! With that said if you are male or over the age of 17, I don't think you'll get much more than a few chuckles from this classic remake.

The acting is average. The story line is out of date. I respect the creators for trying to recreate some classic scenes, but when you put an adorable Julianne Hough in a 1980s dress, you fail to keep me engaged in a 2011 movie. Overall, I would recommend this film if you loved the original and want to see another take on it or if you are a High School Musical fanatic. If you are looking for a cheesy dance movie to finish off a girls' night, this would be fitting also. It would be worth seeing it for a dollar or two if you feel inclined, but it's not worth the $10 a movie ticket costs.

Maybe Redbox It