Coming Soon


July 26, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Captain America is the next individual superhero movie leading up to the Avengers movie in May 2012 (which we got to see a preview for at the end of Captain America). It is much different than the superhero movies we have seen recently. It is set in the 1940s which creates a completely different context that effects almost every part of the movie. This added to the fact that this is a superhero movie resulted in an overload of cheesy moments.

This movie reminded me of the Batman and Spiderman cartoons I used to watch as a kid. There is lots of slow motion running with explosions all around, anticipatory music to create a mood, and the villain escaping last minute with a quick remark. It is not as modern as the previous superhero movies released lately. This is not necessarily a negative, but it made me shake my head and chuckle often at the cheese-fest that occurred for the majority of the movie. I would not have been surprised if POW and BOOM action bubbles flashed across the screen at any time, luckily they left that to the original comic books.

I was a little worried about Chris Evans' portrayal of a superhero, especially one as iconic as Captain America. He did a pretty good job representing this little guy turned to super soldier. He also fits in well to this cheesy-type movie. He doesn't really have the swagger of Robert Downing Jr., but that's not what's needed for Captain America. I give him props on this one.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. The combination of a 1940s setting and the fact that it is a superhero movie should have made me expect the cheesy-fest that ensured. I think it outranks Thor, as I expected, but does not compare to Iron man in any way. For most people I would say wait and Redbox/Netflix this one. But if you are a comic fan already or hooked into this Avengers saga like I am, then SEE IT! And make sure you wait until after the 20 minutes of credits to see the amazing preview for The Avengers movie!!!!

Redbox/Netflix It!